This must be the time the government loosen up its grip on all aspect of society and trust. We just need space to share, learn and grow.
43 years on, we followed our leaders, trusting them to lift us out of any crisis or doldrum.
Our leaders are world-class, efficient, incorruptible and CEO-like talents. But they can do more by serving with greater compassion and serve up more opportunities for fellow Singaporeans.
As we reconsider the priorities of our lives and what we hope to achieve, Think Centre appeals to our government for the following
1. incorporate human rights education in schools to inculcate awareness and respect of social justice, equality, fairness, and human dignity "UNHCHR is promoting the Human Rights Learning since 60th anniversary of the UDHR".
2. promote public understanding and recognition on the needs of all peoples for decent job, decent working and living conditions, fair and just distribution of wealth among Singaporeans
3. made provisions for minimum wage for all low-salaried workers to provide for their basic needs and decent living conditions in Singapore
4. improve working conditions and living standards of migrant workers in respect of the rights of migrants workers, and all relevant ILO Conventions
5. co-operate with all ASEAN Countries on the protection and promotion of the rights of the migrant workers
6.support the formation of the ASEAN Human Rights Commission and form the national human rights commision in Singapore.
Finally, we ask that our government to consult, nurture and work with civil society instead of feeling threatened and stamp on every initiative that does not seem economically viable. Let a thousand flowers bloom for these very blossoms are what defines us as Singapore - A garden city full of ideas, compassion for its citizens and passion for the future.
This must be the time the government loosen up its grip on all aspect of society and trust its own people that they too want a better Singapore for all and are capable of making significant contributions. We just need space to share, learn and grow.
On this 43rd celebration of our nationhood, Think Centre wishes fellow Singaporeans, PRs and migrant workers a Happy National Day.
Sources and Relevant Links:
CNA Singapore to ease ban on political videos, public demonstrations 18 August 2008
CNA Singapore PM highlights inflation, immigrants, birth rate concerns 17 August 2008
Think Centre National Day Message 2007 07 August 2007
Think Centre Think Centre: Labour Day Message 2007
Think Centre Is Singapore an inclusive society
Think Centre Think Centre National Day Message 2006